Check out our Resources section for free tax guides, forms, and more!

855-476-6920 Se habla español

How to Resolve Common After-Tax-Day Issues

This year’s tax filing deadline has come and gone for most people. If you’re expecting a refund, but still haven’t filed, submit your return as soon as possible. There’s no penalty for filing late if the IRS owes you money. For those who still haven’t filed but owe the IRS, however, don’t drag your feet. Without a filing extension, penalties and interest fees will quickly add up. Be sure to also check out these tips from the IRS on how to resolve common after-tax-day issues.

Check Your Refund Status

You can check the status of your IRS refund by using the Where’s My Refund tool available on the IRS website and IRS2Go app. Before using the tool, make sure you have the following information available:

  • Your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN),
  • Tax filing status, and
  • The exact amount of your expected tax refund claimed on your return.

The tool updates daily, so come back each day to check your status. If you do not have internet access or a computer, you can also call 800-829-1954.

Review Your Withholding

Was your tax bill higher than expected when you filed this year? It’s time to conduct a paycheck checkup! Using the Tax Withholding Calculator on IRS.gov, you can determine the right amount of tax your employer needs to withhold from your paycheck and avoid a possible underpayment penalty when you file next year.

Be sure to have your most recent paystubs, income tax return, and information on your income sources available before using the tool. If you need to make changes to your withholding amount, fill out a new Form W-4 and submit it to your employer.

Explore Your After-Tax-Day Payment Options

If you owe taxes this year, you have several options when it comes to paying them, including:

  • IRS Direct Pay – This free IRS service allows you to pay your taxes directly from your checking or savings account.
  • Debit, credit card, or digital wallet – You can make payments by debit or credit card, PayPal, Shazam, Maestro, and more using a third-party processor (fees apply).
  • Check or money order – Make checks or money orders payable to U.S. Treasury. Include your name, address, SSN, tax year, and form/notice number on your payment. Mail your payment to the address for your state or to the one listed on your tax notice (if applicable).

You can also apply for a payment plan if you are unable to pay in full.

Determine If You Need to File an Amended Return

Generally, you don’t need to file an amended tax return if there’s a math error or you neglected to attach a form or schedule. The IRS will normally correct math mistakes for you. They will also send you a notice if they need any missing paperwork.

Missing tax credits, deductions, dependents, or an incorrect filing status may require an amended return. You can use the interactive tax assistant on IRS.gov, Should I File an Amended Return?, to help determine if you should file one or not.

Do not file an amended tax return before your original return has been processed if you’re expecting a refund. Although the IRS issues most refunds within three weeks for those who filed electronically and requested direct deposit, some returns may take longer to process. Your refund may be delayed if:

  • There are errors or your return is incomplete
  • You are a victim of identity theft
  • The IRS suspects tax fraud
  • You claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit
  • Your return includes Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation

If the Child Tax Credit or Recovery Rebate Credit amount is incorrect, this can delay your refund, as well. The IRS will contact you by mail if it needs any additional information to process your return.

Seek Outside Help

If you need help setting up an affordable payment plan, filing an amended tax return, or exploring other tax relief options, consider getting help from a tax professional. Since 2007, Tax Defense Network has helped thousands of taxpayers find the right solution for their after-tax-day problems. For a free, no-obligation consultation with one of your experienced tax specialists, call 855-476-6920 today!