We’ve consulted on over $16 billion in tax debt since 2007 - See what real people are saying about how we changed their life


The Highway Use Tax

August 28, 2014

Individuals who have a registered highway motor vehicle with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more have special considerations when filing a tax return. If your vehicle ran on a public highway, then taxes will need to be paid depending on when the vehicle was used. For example, if a taxable vehicle (a vehicle that meets the above mentioned criteria) was first used on a public highway in July this year, then you need to file your tax return between July 1 and September 2, 2014. The form to be used for the filing is Form 2290.

If your vehicle first ran on a public highway in July this year, then the deadline for filing Form 2290 for you is between July 1 and September 2, 2014. After September 2 this year, if you do not file your taxes for highway use, then you will incur a tax debt.

Remember that the filing deadline is in no way connected to the registration date of your vehicle or its registration renewal date. If the vehicle ran on a public highway in July, 2014 and qualifies as a taxable vehicle, then you need to pay taxes on it no later than September 2, 2014.

When filing the highway use tax, you need to include your Employer Identification Number (EIN) and not your Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have an EIN, you may apply for it here at the IRS website.

You can e-file your tax return for greater ease and faster processing. If you have a number of vehicles for which you are filing, e-filing can definitely save time. After filing Form 2290, you may expect to receive Schedule 1 from the IRS within six weeks.


Secured By miniOrange