The Treasury of Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) was established to provide independent oversight of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) activities. Since 1999, the year of its inception, TIGTA has consistently provided guidance to the IRS through its evaluation, criticism, and suggestions for improvement. TIGTA reveals the weaknesses of the IRS through its analysis of IRS activities so that the agency remains free from fraud, biases and abuse, and provides the best service to taxpayers.
TIGTA consists of mainly auditors and investigators that gather information regarding the activities of the IRS, conducting analyses, and providing criticism and advice for the enhancement of IRS operations. TIGTA acts within the IRS, but is independent of the IRS, the Treasury Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and all other Treasury offices. This makes the organization’s evaluation of the IRS neutral and unbiased.
TIGTA’s audit and investigative activities aim at:
- Detecting and deterring fraud and abuse in IRS programs and operations.
- Protecting IRS against external attempts to corrupt or threaten its employees.
- Reviewing and making recommendations about existing and proposed legislation and regulations related to IRS, and TIGTA programs and operations.
- Preventing fraud, abuse, and deficiencies in IRS programs and operations.
- Promoting economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in administering the Nation’s tax system.
- Informing the Secretary of the Treasury and Congress of existing problems and progress made to resolve them.
By bringing transparency to IRS operations, TIGTA keeps the IRS in check through publicly sharing its routine evaluation of the IRS. TIGTA reports also include the response of the IRS to scrutiny. As TIGTA reports and IRS replies are made public, the IRS is encouraged to resolve any problems in its operations.
TIGTA ensures that the IRS operates at the highest level of integrity, and acts without prejudices. It also promotes improvement in the agency by providing solutions and suggestions aimed at offering the best service to taxpayers.