We’ve consulted on over $16 billion in tax debt since 2007 - See what real people are saying about how we changed their life


What to Do if Your Employer Does Not Issue a W-2

February 11, 2014

At the end of each tax year, employers are required to issue a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement which details how much you made and how much income, social security and Medicare tax was withheld from your pay. You need your W-2 in order to file your taxes every year.

By now, your employer should have issued you your W-2. This year, employers were required to issue W-2 forms by January 31st. If you have not received your W-2 form by this Friday, February 14th, take the following steps to ensure you receive your W-2 in time to file your taxes.

First, contact your employer. Your employer, or former employer if you have changed jobs in the last year, may have the wrong contact information. Make sure your W-2 has been sent to the correct address.

If you have not received your W-2 by February 14th, you can call the IRS hotline at 800-829-1040. Make sure you are ready to give the following information:

  • Your name, SSN, address and Phone number
  • Your employers name, address and phone number
  • Your employment dates
  • An estimation of your wages and federal income tax withheld. You can base this off of your last pay stub.

The IRS will contact your employer with a form 4598, Form W-2, 1098 or 1099 Not Received, Incorrect, or Lost. You’ll receive a copy of the form 4598, along with a form 4852, Substitute for Form W–2. If your employer still has not issued a W-2 by April 15th, file your taxes using the 4852 form in place of your W-2. It is important not to file form 4852 too early, because you could be charged penalties for “improper use.”

Always be sure to file your taxes on time, even if you use form 4852. If you do not think you will be able to make the April 15th deadline, file for an extension using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File on or before April 15th.

Secured By miniOrange