Read more about COVID-19 (coronavirus) tax updates Arrow icon button for important news

Federal Tax Forms

Looking for the most common IRS tax forms? We’ve got them all in one place just for you. If you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed, no worries. At Tax Defense Network, we can help you complete the forms and file them, too!

Arrow pointing down to indicate more content

Individual Tax Forms

Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings

If you recently got lucky while gambling, don’t forget that the IRS considers your winnings to be taxable income. To report your gambling income, file Form W-2G.

Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

Employees fill out Form W-4 for employers. The form includes request for personal information, claiming dependents, and tax withholdings or exemption. The withheld money from your paycheck goes directly to the IRS and is a factor in your annual refund.

Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

If you don’t have a social security number and aren’t eligible to get one, you’ll need an IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). This number is used for federal tax purposes to identify taxpayers. In addition to a completed Form W-7, you must provide the IRS with any tax returns that may need the number and a valid ID for the person who needs the number.

Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification

Form W-9 is a requested document used to confirm taxpayer identification number (TIN). The TIN is needed to file other IRS documents (e.g. Form 1099). This form is commonly used with contractor relationships and certain financial transactions.

Form 1040, Individual Income Tax Return

The 1040 is your personal (not business) federal tax return. The 1040 tax return is due on Tax Day, on or around April 15. When you file Form 1040, you’ll need your taxpayer and dependent information, including income and exemptions. Individuals can apply for a six-month filing extension if needed, which pushes your due date to October 15. For tax year 2018 and beyond, this redesigned tax Form 1040 version will be used instead of 1040-A or 1040-EZ.

Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals

Are you self-employed or own a small business? If your income isn’t subject to tax withholding, tax form 1040-ES will help you figure out and pay your estimated taxes on your earned income.

Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return

Form 1040-X is filed when a taxpayer needs to correct their Form 1040 (A, EZ, NR or NR-EZ), make certain elections after the filing deadline, change an amount previously adjusted by the IRS, or to make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or an unused credit.

Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement

If you’ve got a mortgage, your lender will file Form 1098 to report the amount of interest and related expenses paid on a mortgage during the tax year. Once you have this information, you may be eligible to deduct the mortgage interest paid from your taxable income.

Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement

If you have student loans, your student loan servicer will file Form 1098-E to report the amount of interest you paid (if it met or exceeded $600). Once you have your copy of the 1098-E, you may be eligible to deduct the student loan interest paid from your taxable income.

Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return

Need your transcript or other return information? Whether you need financial information to complete a loan or mortgage application or you just want access to your own tax info, you fill out Form 4506-T to access your financial records with the IRS. This form will only allow you access to tax records from the current year up to three years earlier. Getting these records is free of charge and should arrive in the mail in about three weeks.

Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time

When April rolls around and you need more time to prepare your federal tax return, you can apply for an extension to file your taxes. This does NOT extend the date for any IRS payment due. Form 4868 is for individuals. If you’re a business requesting an extension, you’ll most likely use Form 7004.

Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request

The IRS allows taxpayers to request a payment plan with Form 9465 if your owed tax debt is unaffordable all at once. This form asks about your current tax situation, what you owe, and what you can pay per month. If you need help vetting your IRS tax debt relief options, call Tax Defense Network.

Business Tax Forms

Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship)

Schedule C (Form 1040) is used to report income or loss from a business you operated, or a profession you practiced, as a sole proprietor.

Schedule H (Form 1040), Household Employment Taxes

Schedule H is used to report nanny taxes for taxpayers who paid a household employee and the wages were subject to federal income tax, Social Security, Medicare, or FUTA taxes.

Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number

If you don’t have an employer identification number (EIN) for your business, you’ll need to use Form SS-4 to apply for one. An EIN is used for business tax filing and reporting. You’ll need to provide information about your business, including its name, address, structure type, and reason for applying.

Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement

The counterpart of W-4, the W-2 is for employers to report an employee’s tax situation (i.e. wages and withholdings from the previous year). Filed for federal and state taxes, the W-2 is required by employers to send to employees before January 31. If you haven’t received your W-2 or other tax forms, ask your employer or contact the IRS ASAP.

Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return

Form 941 is part of an employer’s quarterly tax obligation. As the name suggests, this form is due four times throughout the year. Employers must report income, Social Security, or Medicare tax withheld from employee paychecks. This form shows a business’s balance due or if they can get a refund from overpaid employment taxes.

Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt

Lenders and financial institutions file Form 1099-C for each person they have canceled, forgiven, or discharged an owed debt of $600 or more. The debtor must report this amount to the IRS as taxable income.

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

Form 1099-MISC is most often used in a business-contractor relationship for a payer to report payments ($600 or more) from the previous year. Rental income, royalties, or gaming profits may also require Form 1099-MISC. Employers issue a Form W-2 to employees, whereas a Form 1099-MISC is for non-employees (i.e. contractors).

Form 1120-W, Estimated Tax for Corporations

If you’re dealing with filing estimated federal income tax for a corporation, Form 1120-W is what you’ll need. Corporations use this form to estimate tax liability and figure out the amount of their estimated tax payments.

Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization

Use Form 4562 to a deduction for depreciation and amortization, to expense certain property, or to provide information on business use or investment of automobiles or other listed property.

Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions

Form 8283 is used by individuals, partnerships and corporations to report charitable contributions that are not made in cash, if the total amount exceeds $500.

Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business

Form 8300 is used if you or your business receives a cash payment over $10,000 for one or multiple related transactions. Failing to file Form 8300 and providing a written statement to each party involved may result in a serious penalty. This is how the IRS helps to combat illegal laundering and tax evasion activity.

Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home

Form 8829 is used to determine the allowable expenses for the business use of your home on Schedule C (Form 1040).

Tax Checklists

  • : Use this handy PDF to gather all your important documentation before you start on your business tax return.
  • : This PDF will help you organize your receipts and other necessary documentation before starting your individual tax return.

By submitting this form, I agree to be contacted by Tax Defense Network and/or MoneySolver, including calls, texts (text messaging rates may apply) and/or emails. Contact may be by automated dialing technology and may feature a prerecorded voice. I understand that my consent is not a condition or obligation to purchase any products or services.